I have been making bracelets like the Turquoise Treasure Bracelet for years, so I thought I would try the same look in a necklace. I must say - I love the result! And it is really versatile. You can do this with any coin pendant and coordinating 8mm and 6mm round beads.
Shanna Steele, Aunties Beads Designer
This project requires of the no needle right angle weave technique. For more information on this, please watch the Right Angle Weave Bracelet Video.
In this project, I will refer to the wire as thread. When the instructions say cross over with your right thread, it means the wire in your right hand.
Creating the Pendant:
Creating the Necklace:
- Cut about 48" of beading wire. String 4 beads on the center. With your right thread, cross over through the last bead on the left. You should now have a "circle" of seed beads.
- Pick up 2 seed beads on the left and 1 seed bead on the right. Cross over with your right thread.
- Repeat step 2 seven more times. You should have a total of 9 squares. (Hint: You count the squares by counting the open spaces in the center of your woven piece.)
- Run the beading wire through the pendant. Place your stitched piece on top of the pendant so the bead that started the stitching is close to the hole of the pendant. Run your left wire from left to right through that bead. Run your right wire from right to left through that bead.
- Run your beading wire back through the pendant. Run your left wire from left to right through the seed bead at the top of the pendant. Run your right wire from right to left through the same bead.
Tools and Materials Needed:
- String 5 seed beads, a 6mm round and a seed bead.
- String an 8mm round and 6 seed beads. Run your beading wire back through the 8mm round just strung. String 6 more seed beads. Run your beading wire through the same 8mm round. Make sure to pull firmly on the beading wire.
- String a seed bead, a 6mm round and a seed bead.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 four more times.
- String your beads in an alternating pattern of seed bead and 6mm round until you have a total of thirteen 6mm round turquoise beads at the back of the necklace.
- String a crimp bead and a seed bead. Run your beading wire through the clasp then back down through the seed bead, crimp bead and a few more beads. Crimp. Cut excess wire.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6 on the other side. When you get to step 6, instead of attaching the clasp, attach your 3" piece of chain.
Turquoise Blue Magnesite 35mm Coin Pendant
Howlite 8mm Round Bead Strand, Turquoise
Turquoise Blue Howlite 6mm Round Gemstone Bead Strand
8/0 Copper Plated Miyuki Seed Beads
8/0 Duracoat Galvanized Muscat Miyuki Beads
Antique Copper Trigger Clasp, 15mm
Antique Copper Curb Chain by the Foot, 4.2mm (about 3" for extender chain)
Antique Copper Plate Crimp Bead, 2 x 2 mm, Bag of 50
Beadalon 19-strand Wire, 30 ft., .015, Metallic Satin Copper
Beadalon Designer Crimper Tool