The Roaring 20s Statement Choker
This choker reminds me of the old silent film stars of the 1920s. These daring young flappers seemed to always be wearing an expressive choker or hat and a long strand of pearls. This 2-stranded, asymmetrical choker is perfect for today’s styles. Measures 14 ½ to 17 ½”.
Deb Leon, Auntie's Beads Designer
1. Open 2 jump rings. Attach 1 jump ring to 3” of chain and set aside. Attach 1 jump ring to lobster clasp..
2. Cut 2 pieces of beading wire, each 20 inches long.
2. Crimp one end of each separately to jump ring at lobster clasp.
3. On one wire string dark coral bicone, 3 - 6mm turquoise, a 6mm onyx, 3 - 6mm turquoise, a 6mm onyx, a 6mm turquoise 2 strand spacer, 2 – 6mm turquoise, a 4mm bicone, and a 12mm onyx.
4. On the other wire string 4mm bicone, 3 – 4mm turquoise, a 4mm bicone, 3 – 4mm turquoise, a 4mm bicone, 6 – 4mm turquoise, a 4mm bicone, 2-strand spacer, 3 – 4mm turquoise, a 6mm turquoise, a 4mm turquoise, 2 – 6mm turquoise and a 12mm onyx.
5. Pick up beaded bead and running wire through the holes of the individual rondelles, one towards the top and one towards the bottom, add the beaded bead.
6. On the wire that was strung in step 3, add * 12mm onyx, 6mm onyx *, repeat from * * until you have 5 sets strung, add 1 more 12mm onyx, 4 – 6mm turquoise, a 4mm turquoise, 2-strand spacer, 5 – 6mm turquoise, a 6mm onyx, 6mm turquoise, 6mm onyx, 4 – 6mm turquoise, 6mm onyx, 6mm turquoise, 2 – 4mm turquoise and crimp to jump ring attached to chain.
7. On the wire that was strung in step 4, add * 12mm onyx, 6mm onyx *, repeat from ** until you have 4 sets strung, add a 12mm onyx, 3 – 6mm turquoise, 4mm turquoise, 2-strand spacer,4mm bicone, 4 – 4mm turquoise, 4mm bicone, 6 – 4mm turquoise, 4mm bicone, 10 – 4mm turquoise and crimp to the jump ring attached to chain making sure your wires are not crossing over each other.
(Optional) Adding butterfly
1. Open 2 jump rings.
2. Attach jump ring through corner of wing of butterfly and between 12 mm onyx and the 6mm onyx round. Close jump ring.
3. Position butterly so it is sitting at an angle and attach opposite corner of other wing to necklace between 12mm onyx and 6mm onyx round.
4. Close jump ring.
Materials and Tools Needed:
Chinese Crystal Beaded Bead, Red Velvet, 26mm
Onyx Round Strand, 12mm
Swarovski Crystal, 4mm Bicone, Bag of 10, Lt Siam
Onyx Round Strand, 6 mm
Turquoise Round Strand, 6mm
Turquoise Round Strand, Heat Treated, 4mm
Silver Plate lobster Claw, 12mm
Silver Plated Filigree Butterfly Wings, 35 x 40mm
Silver Plate Long and Short Chain by the Foot
Sterling Silver Sunflower Separator, 2 Strand
Crimp Beads, Bag of 50, 2 x 2mm