- View the Peyote Stitch Instructional Video for a how to on peyote stitch.
- Cut a 1yd piece of Fireline or longer, what ever you are comfortable working with, you will need to tie in a couple of times.
- String on a stop bead. To string a stop bead, pick up a bead and pass needle and thread through the bead in the same direction so that the thread wraps around the bead.
- Pick up 10 seed beads and let them slide down the thread to the stop bead.
- Pick up one seed bead; skip the last bead strung and pass through the next bead, going back towards the stop bead.
- Continue to pick up one bead, skip a bead, and pass through the next bead until you reach the end of the row.
- Continue to pick up beads and pass through the beads that are jutting out from the previous row. You will be filling in the gaps with beads as you stitch.
- To turn at the end of each row, simply pick up a bead and pass through the bead you just stitched into place. You may have to hold on to your working thread to keep your tension so as not to allow the work to loosen up.
- Follow the pattern for the color changes, using an index card to help mark your rows.
- As mentioned you will need to add thread a couple of times, so be sure to secure your working thread by working it back through the stitches, half hitch knotting a couple of times. Add the thread in the same manner careful to end up where you stopped.
- Work the pattern until you reach your desired length, remembering the clasp will add about an inch or more to the length.
- To add the clasp, re-enforce the last two rows by tracing the thread back through the previous stitches out the second "UP" bead, string on 7 to 8 seed beads run the thread through the loop end of the toggle and secure by running the thread back through the top two rows and the string of beads of the toggle loop and half hitch knot a couple of times with in the work.
- For the bar part of the toggle used in this project, I had to adjust for the hole of the finding, as the seed beads did not go flow through, this is also a good place to add a bit of length if needed to fit properly. I added a few more seed beads and used an even amount on either side of the finding, re-enforcing and knotting as above.
Tools and Materials Needed:
8/0 Galv Yellow Gold Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
8/0 Ivory Pearl Ceylon Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
8/0 Raspberry Lined Crystal AB Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
8/0 Met Purple Gold Iris Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
8/0 Matte Tr Emerald Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
8/0 Matte Tr Aqua Miyuki Seed Beads- 1tube
Gold Plated 15mm Open Star Toggle- 1set
Fireline Fine Crystal, 6 lb. Thread, 50 Yards, .008
English Beading Needles, Size 12, 4-Pack