This project requires knowledge of working with leather and setting rivets. To learn how to work with rivets, please watch Karla's Rivet and Snap Setter Video
Tools and Materials Needed:
- To begin, cut your leather so it measures about 1-and-1/2-inches shy of the desired finished length. I wanted my bracelet to be 7-and-1/2-inches, so I cut my leather down to 6 inches.
- Place a strap tip at one end of your leather strap so it is flush with the end of the strap. Using a pen or pencil, mark a hole where the hole in the strap tip is. Repeat this process at the other end.
- Using your punch tool at the smallest setting, punch a hole at each end of the leather where you made your marks.
- Put a silver rivet post under the strap and up through one of the strap tips. Apply the silver cap on top of the strap tip and push. Use your rivet setter to firmly secure the rivet. Repeat this step on the other end.
- Find the center of your bracelet. For my 7-and-1/2-inch bracelet, this was at the 3 inch mark. Place a hammered link so it is centered and put a button on top of the hammered link. Using a pen, mark the holes where the button is. Remove the button and link. Use your punch tool to make holes in the leather where you made your marks.
- Run brass rivet posts through each hole in the leather. Put the hammered link and button back on the leather. Apply a brass rivet cap to each post and push into place. Use your rivet setter to firmly set the rivets. (NOTE: Be careful when setting rivets this close together. Make sure you position your tool so it is only covering the rivet you are attempting to set; otherwise, you will make a dent in the nearby rivet. Trust me - I know from experience!)
- Measure about 1 inch to the right of the rivet on the right in the center button. Mark a spot at this 1 inch position. Place a hammered link and button so the left hole of the button is on top of the mark you just made. Make a mark where the other button hole is. Remove the link and button. Punch a hole. Add your brass rivet posts. Add the hammered link and button. Apply the rivet caps. Set the rivets.
- Repeat step 7 on the left side.
- Open a jump ring. Attach it to the loop on the strap tip then to the loop on one half of the clasp. Close the jump ring. Add another jump ring for extra security.
- Repeat step 9 on the other side.
TierraCast 1/2" by 10" Leather Strap, Turquoise
TierraCast Antique Brass Rock and Roll Leather Strap Tip, 11x16mm (2 pieces)
TierraCast Antique Silver Leaf Button, 17mm (3 pieces)
TierraCast Antique Brass Hammered Round Link, Large, 20mm (3 pieces)
TierraCast Antique Brass Pewter Hammered Toggle, 16x22mm
TierraCast Antique Brass Pewter Rivet Set, Bag of 10 (6 pieces)
TierraCast Antique Silver Pewter Rivet Set, Bag of 10 (2 pieces)
Antique Silver Open Jump Rings, 6mm, 10pc (4 pieces)
Rivet Setter Kit (just the rivet setter tool is needed)
Revolving Punch Plier
Mini Punch Set
Chain Nose Pliers (2 pair)