I couldn't wait to play with the new magatamas. I wanted to create a simple bracelet that really showcased the unusual shape of the beads - and I think I did it! The best part of this design is that you can use any color combination of magatamas and size 8/0 seed beads your heart desires!
Shanna Steele, Aunties Beads Designer
This piece requires knowledge of the no needle right angle weave technique. If you are not familiar with this, please watch the Right Angle Weave Bracelet video.
Tools and Materials Needed:
- Cut a piece of Supplemax measuring about 36". String 3 seed beads on the center of your Supplemax. String a magatama and 2 seed beads on the left. String a magatama on the right. Cross over with your right thread through the last 2 seed beads added on the left.
Note: You will want to pay attention to the way the magatamas are added so you will have uniformity in the shape of your design. For example, when I crossed over, my left bead had a downward slant on the right side and my right bead had an upward slant on the left side so the beads almost fit together like puzzle pieces.
- Pick up a magatama and 2 seed beads on the left and a magatama on the right. Cross over with your right thread through the last 2 seed beads added on the left.
- Repeat step 2 until you have about 6 inches of beadwork completed. (It took 66 magatams to make a 7 and 1/2 inch bracelet, so you will want to stop your beadwork when you have 64 magatamas.)
- Pick up a magatama and 2 seed beads on the left. Pick up a magatama and a seed bead on the right. Cross over with your right thread through the last seed bead added on the left (you are only crossing over through one seed bead this time).
- Pick up a seed bead on the left thread and a seed bead on the right thread. Pull your threads together and add a seed bead to both threads.
- Add your clam shell tip. String a size 11/0 seed bead on one of your threads. Tie a square knot. Apply a dab of glue. Close the clam shell tip. Cut excess thread.
- Open the loop on the clam shell tip. Attach it to half of the toggle clasp. Close the loop.
- Using one of your excess threads you cut in step 5, run the thread through the middle seed bead from step 1. Then repeat steps 4 through 6 to complete the bracelet.
4x7mm Long Magatama, Matte Met Dk Bronze
Miyuki Seed Bead Mix, Metallic Rain, 8/0
Antique Brass Pewter 13mm Roped Toggle
Antique Brass Clam Shell Tips, Bag Of 10 (2 pieces)
Size 11/0 seed beads, any color to go inside clam shell tips (2 pieces)
Supplemax, .012 in, 50M WHITE (3 feet)
Chain Nose Pliers
G-S Hypo Cement