This project requires knowledge of punching holes in leather and setting rivets. If you are not familiar with these techniques, please watch the following videos: Hole Punch Tools
and Rivet and Snap Setters
Tools and Materials Needed:
- Cut a piece of flat leather so you have exactly 7 inches.
- Place your rivet on the leather so it is centered. The spiral will be at the 3-and-a-half inch mark. Using a Sharpie, make marks in the holes on the link. This is where you will set your rivets.
- Remove the link. Use the punch on the smallest setting to make a hole where you made a Sharpie mark. Do this for both marks.
- Place the link back on the leather so the holes in the leather are aligned with the holes in the connector. Run a rivet post through the back of the leather and up through the hole in the connector. Put a cap on the post. Push them together so they hold the connector in place. Repeat on the other side of the link. Use your rivet setter tool and a hammer to set the rivets.
- Apply a dab of Zap-a-Gap to the inside of one end of the clasp. Put one end of your leather in the clasp. Repeat this process on the other side. Allow about 15 minutes dry time.
2mm x 10mm Flat Leather, Blue(7 inches)
TierraCast Antique Copper Pewter Spiral and Rivets Link, 39mm
TierraCast Antique Copper Pewter Rivet Set (2 pieces)
Antique Copper Clasp for Flat Leather, 18x28mm
2mm x 10mm Flat Leather, Black (7 inches)
TierraCast Antique Brass Pewter Spiral and Rivets Link, 39mm TierraCast Antique Brass Pewter Rivet Set (2 pieces)
Antique Brass Clasp for Flat Leather, 18x28mm
2mm x 10mm Flat Leather, Red (7 inches)
TierraCast Antique Silver Pewter Spiral and Rivets Link, 39mm
TierraCast Antique Silver Pewter Rivet Set, Bag of 10 (2 pieces)
Antique Silver Clasp for Flat Leather, 18x28mm
BeadSmith Little Cut Tool for Licorice Leather
Revolving Punch Plier
Rivet Setter Kit
The BeadSmith 1 Pound Brass Head Mallet