Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. Nathaniel Hawthorne
This necklace evokes such happiness, it is bold and bright! What a compliment to a simple white t-shirt and shorts or something a little more dressy, regardless of the outfit a perfect fit for the summer. Brightly colored turquoise butterfly and round beads flutter in an asymetrical design with swags of chain and an oversized toggle clasp.
Karla Schafer, Auntie’s Beads Designer
1. Cut the chain to the specific lengths and set aside. Cut a 10 1/2" length of flat oval chain and a 19" length of the oval and circle chain starting with a circle link and ending with a circle link.
2. Cut the butterfly beads from the strand and omit one of the colors, I omitted the hot pink, save them for another project, perhaps a matching bracelet. Also cut the 6mm round turquoise strand apart.
3. Cut a 12" piece of beading wire and crimp one end into an end of the flat oval chain, using the Magical Crimp Forming Tool.
4. Picking at random or in a color scheme of your choosing, string a round turqoise bead, crown bead, round turquoise, 4mm round, butterfly bead (head first), 4mm round, 2 round turquoise, 4mm round, same color butterfly bead (head first).
5. Continue the pattern with the next set of butterfly beads, starting with the 4mm round, 2 round turquoise, etc. See picture or refer to step 4.
6. After you have strung 3 sets of butterflies, finish the strand with a 4mm round, round turquoise, crown bead and a round turquoise.
7. Crimp this end of the wire, using the Magical Crimp Forming Tool, into the third circle link from the end, trimming any excess wire with the nipper tool.
8. For the second strand of butterflies, cut a piece of beading wire 12" in length, crimping it into the short end of the chain.
9. String a round turquoise, crown bead, round turquoise, 4mm round, butterfly bead (from the bottom), 4mm round, 2 round turquoise, 4mm round, same color butterfly bead (from the bottom).
10. Again continue the pattern with the next set of butterfly beads, starting with the 4mm round, 2 round turquoise, etc. See picture or refer to step 9.
11. After you have strung 3 sets of butterflies, finish the strand with a 4mm round, round turquoise, crown bead and a round turquoise.
12. Crimp this end of the wire into the loop of the large toggle using the Magical Crimp Forming Tool, trimming any excess wire with the nipper tool.
13. Take the long end of the oval and circle chain and connect it to the loop of the large toggle, using a connector end of the chain, by carefully prying it open and closing it with the chain nose pliers or a jump ring.
14. Attach the bar of the toggle to the flat oval chain end, using a jump ring to complete the necklace.
Materials and Tools Needed:
Multi Color Turquoise Butterfly Pendant Strand, 30mm- 12pc
Multi-Color 6mm Round Turquoise Bead Strand- 28pc
Bali Style Pewter Spacer Crown Bead, 5x12mm- 4pc
Silver Filled 4mm Round Beads, Bag Of 10- 24pc
Silver Plated Oval And Circle Chain By The Foot,12mm/18mm- 19"
Silver Plate Flat Oval Chain By The Foot, 5x8mm- 10 1/4"
Pewter Large Oval Toggle, Ornate, 22x30mm- 1pc
Crimp Beads, Bag of 50, 2 x 2 mm- 4pc
Sterling Silver Jump Rings, Open, Bag of 10, 6mm, 20 Gauge- 1pc
Beadalon 49-strand Wire, 100 ft., .018
Bead Smith Magical Crimp Forming Tool For .014"-.015" Wire
Beadsmith Ergo Pliers, Chain Nose With Cutter