Grey Area Necklace
As I was perusing through my design Facebook page, I came across a beautiful picture of a bird that an Auntie’s friend posted and as all struck by the photo. But what remained with me was the beauty of the bird’s color as well as the grey tree it was roosting on. The pallet in this piece came from that photo. Charcoal Composite Rose beads, gunmetal chain with the pops of vibrant blues in Chinese Crystal and seed beads are all in my grey area.
Karla Schafer, Auntie’s Beads Designer
- Using the nipper tool cut the chain to length. Cutting a 6 ¾” pc of the flat oval chain and (2) pc of the rolo chain, (1) pc 3 ¾” and (1) 8”.
- On one end of the flat oval chain, attach the bar of the toggle with a jump ring using the round nose and chain nose pliers.
- On the other end of the flat oval chain, attach a head pin, slipping on the larger rose bead bending the end of the wire over at a right angle, flush with the bead.
- Using the Wire Looping Pliers, make a loop by pressing the end into the pliers at the middle section gently pressing, rotating the wire around to the bead until you have something that resembles a split ring.
- Attach the 3 ¾” piece of rolo chain to the newly formed ring with a jump ring.
- On the end of that piece attach an eye pin, slipping on the small rose bead, make a right angle, flush with the bead and make a simple loop. (Cut the wire just over ¾” and form with the round nose pliers or the wire looping tool as demonstrated in the “Y” necklace video.)
- Attach the 8” piece of rolo chain to the newly formed simple loop formed in Step 6.
- Attach the flower loop of toggle to the end of chain using a jump ring.
- Cut 13” of beading wire, crimping one end into the “split” ring of the large rose bead, using the magical crimp forming tool above the chain connection.
- String about 11 ½” of seed beads on to the wire and crimp into the flower toggle, above the chain connection.
- Cut 13” of beading wire, crimping one end again into the “split” ring of the large rose bead, using the magical crimp forming tool, above the seed bead strand.
String 3 seed beads and then alternate a Chinese Crystal and seed bead pattern until you have beaded about 11” and crimp into the flower toggle above the seed bead strand to complete.
Materials and Tools Needed:
9291 Composite Rose Bead, Charcoal, 23mm- 1pc
9362 Composite 13mm Flower Bead, Charcoal- 1pc
sb-8-452 Miyuki 8-452, Met Dk Blue Iris or
sb-11-452 Miyuki Seed Beads, Metallic Dark Blue Iris, 11/0
10649 Chinese Crystal 4mm Long Round Bead Strand, Morning Mist or
12173 Gunmetal 3mm Rolo Chain By The Foot- 11 ¾”
9106 Gunmetal Flat Oval Chain By The Foot, 5x8mm- 6 ¾”
8880 Gunmetal 26mm Flower Toggle- 1 set
find-37-136-9 Gunmetal Plate Jump Rings, Open, Bag of 10, 5mm, 20 Gauge- 3pc
find-37-722-9 Gunmetal Plate Eye Pins, 2 inch, 21 Gauge, Bag of 10- 2pc
SS/3011/2X2 Crimp Beads, Bag of 50, 2 x 2mm
JW11T-0 Beadalon 49-strand Wire, 30 ft., .018
Chain Nose Pliers
Round Nose Pliers
Magical Crimp Forming Tool
Wire Looping Pliers (optional)