Fall Flutterby Necklace
Not one for creating asymmetrical pieces, I like the look of this filigree butterfly off-center when balanced with a butterfly toggle on the other side. Since turquoise and copper are my favorite color combination right now, this necklace may just be my new favorite piece for Fall!
Shanna Steele, Auntie's Beads Designer
1. Cut your chain so you have the following pieces: 2 segments with 3 oval links separated by 2 round links and 1 piece that measures about 9 inches.
2. On an eye pin, pick up a 4mm round. Make a simple (or rosary) loop.
3. Repeat step 2 on all 8 of your 4mm rounds, all 10 of your 6mm rounds, and both copper beads. From this point on, I will refer to the beads on eye pins as links.
4. Open a 4mm link. Attach it to the tail of the butterfly. Attach a 6mm link to the 4mm link just added. Attach a 4mm link to the 6mm link just added.
5. Repeat step 4 on the other side of the tail.
6. Open a jump ring. Attach it to the loops under the 4mm beads. Close the jump ring.
7. Attach your links in the following order: 6mm round, copper round, 6mm round, 4mm round, 6mm round, 4mm round, 6mm round, copper round, three 6mm rounds, and a 4mm round.
8. Open a jump ring. Attach it to the last 4mm link added. Then attach it to the loop part of the toggle. Close the jump ring.
9. Open a jump ring. Attach it to the top of the butterfly wing (not the outermost loop in the filigree but the one next to it). Attach the jump ring to a 3 oval link piece of chain. Close the jump ring.
10. Repeat step 9 on the other side.
11. Open a jump ring. Attach it to the ends of both pieces of chain. Close the jump ring.
12. Attach a 6mm link to the jump ring just added. Attach a 4mm link to the link just added. Attach the 4mm link to your 9 inch piece of chain.
13. Open a jump ring. Attach it to the other end of the 9 inch piece of chain then to the bar part of the toggle. Close the jump ring.
Materials and Tools Needed:
Antique Copper Plated Filigree Butterfly Wings, 35 x 40mm (1 piece)
Turquoise Round Strand, 6mm (10 pieces)
Turquoise Round Strand, Heat Treated, 4mm (8 pieces)
Antique Copper Round Spiral Bead, 8mm (2 pieces)
Antique Copper Plated Butterfly Toggle, 15mm
Antique Copper Plated Long and Short Chain By The Foot (about 11 inches)
Antique Copper Jump Rings, Open, Bag of 10, 5mm, 20 Gauge (6 pieces)
Antique Copper Plated Eye Pins, 2 Inch, 21 Gauge, Bag of 10 (20 pieces)
Copper Eye Pins, 2 in, 20 Gauge, Bag of 25 (20 pieces)
Round Nose Pliers
Chain Nose Pliers