Dressed to a Tea Necklace Project
It is said that being "Dressed to a Tea" is a Victorian phrase of the formality in dressing for High Tea. This beaded embellished filigree is the perfect focal for an elegant necklace dripping with Victorian charm.
Karla Schafer, Aunties Beads Designer
Tools and Materials Needed:
- View the video on "Embellished Filigree" for a how to embellish the focal!.
- Cut the chain into the following pieces:(4) 8 link pieces or just over 1" if using a different chain: (2) 36 link pieces or 5"; (2) 30 link pieces or 4 1/4".
- Attach (1) 8 link piece of chain to each side of the filigree with a jump ring in the 4th opening of the filigree from the top.
- Attach an eye pin to the free end of the chain links and drop a seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, 8mm round, seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, making a rosary loop on the end using the wire looping pliers, see "Rosary Loop Video" for a how to!.
- Attach the other two 8 link pieces of chain to the beaded eye pins .
- Attach an eye pin to the free end of the chain links and drop a seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, 6mm round, seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, making a rosary loop on the end using the wire looping pliers.
- Attach the (2) 36 link pieces of chain to the two beaded eye pins then attaching each end to the toggle clasp using a jump ring.
- Cut 20" of beading wire and crimp one end into half of the clasp, using the magical crimp forming tool, it maybe snug with the jump ring, but coax it in using pliers if necessary.
- String a 4mm bicone, 3" of seed beads, 6mm round, 2" of seed beads, 4mm bicone, 2" of seed beads, 6mm round, 2" of seed beads, 4mm bicone, 2" of seed beads, 6mm round, 2" seed beads, 4mm bicone, 3" seed beads, 4mm bicone, crimp bead and crimp into the other half of the clasp.
- Attach one of the 4 1/2" pieces of chain to the seed bead strand above the 6mm round strung after the 3" seed beads, on with a jump ring.
- Repeat with the second 4 1/2" piece of chain attaching it above the 4mm bicone strung after the 3" seed beads.
- Join the two chain pieces together by attaching an eye pin, dropping a seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, 6 round, seed bead, 4mm bicone, seed bead, make a rosary loop and attach to the other chain end to complete the necklace.
Embellished Filigree made according to the video- 1pc
Antique Brass 45mm Oval Vintage Filigree Pendant/Finding
Swarovski Crystal 4mm Bicone Beads, Ernite, Bag Of 10- 15pc
Swarovski Crystal Round (5000) 6mm, Fuchsia- 6pc
Swarovski Crystal Round (5000) 8mm, Fuchsia- 2pc
11/0 Dk Topaz Rainbow Gold Luster Miyuki Seed Bead- 5grams
Antique Brass Oval Cable Chain By The Foot, 3x5mm- 2ft
Antique Brass Pewter Leaf Toggle, 27mm- 1set
Antique Brass Plated 2 Inch Eye Pins, 21 Gauge, Bag of 10- 5pc
Antique Brass Jump Rings, Open, 1.6 Gram Bag, 5mm, 20 Gauge- 6pc
Beadalon 49-strand Wire, 30 ft., .018- 20"
Crimp Beads, Gold Filled, Bag of 50, 2 x 2 mm- 2pc
BeadSmith Magical Crimp Forming Tool For .014"-.015" Wire
Chain Nose Pliers
Round Nose Pliers